Friday 31 May 2013

Learning Outcomes for Graphic Design 1 and how it Relates to Installation Art

This time, I'm to see how the learning outcomes for Graphic Design 1 applies into my current project. It isn't an easy task to do, but as I work on my project, I should be able to achieve the following:

1. Be able to develop and process creative ideas from initial sketches through to
finished printed resolutions.

This will involve how my workflow goes from initial sketches all the way to the final result (the installation art that has been created)

2. Demonstrate imaginative and creative responses to given projects.

As this project details about how we see ourselves, the possibilities for how I can present myself is endless. It depends on what I use and what concepts I employ in this project in order to create the final product.


3. Be able to undertake visual research to support their ideas.

My ideas involve quite a bit of research, considering one object can represent entirely different things depending on the culture and society. For instance:



The color red may signify good luck in Chinese culture, and can denote passion and energy - but in South Africa, this is the color of mourning (Color Wheel Artist, 2008)

This is how visual research helps in giving my ideas more substance.

4. Recognise how their practices are pertinent to a wider cultural context.

The usage of symbols can mean wholly different things to people of different cultures, therefore this outcome applies greatly (if not completely) to my project. I need to be able to recognize that one object may give different meanings to people with different cultural backgrounds (going back to the color red example, if my work is completely red, a Chinese may think of prosperity, while to a South African it might give an impression that I'm mourning for the loss of something - or someone) and apply that in my project.


8. Work within a given time frame.

There is, of course, a deadline to this project, which I must meet. Therefore I should plan ahead and work constantly on the project so that I can finish it in time.

Bibliography

Color Wheel Artist, 2008. The meanings of red in various cultures. Available at: http://www.color-wheel-artist.com/meanings-of-red.html [accessed 31 May 2013]

No comments:

Post a Comment