Monday 13 May 2013

The Learning Outcomes for Graphic Design 1

Each course and modules have their own learning outcomes - something like a 'goal' for what to achieve. For Graphic Design 1, the learning outcomes are as follows:

1. Be able to develop and process creative ideas from initial sketches through to
finished printed resolutions.
This simply means that by the end of the module, I'd be able to be creative in my work; from the beginning all the way to the end process.

2. Demonstrate imaginative and creative responses to given projects.
For this module, I'm required to be imaginative and creative. The classes aim to help me in honing those skills and demonstrating them in my work.


3. Be able to undertake visual research to support their ideas.
My work needs research from time to time, and my research would help me in being able to better explain and visualize my ideas.

4. Recognise how their practices are pertinent to a wider cultural context.
It's essential that my work can be understood by people from various cultural backgrounds, even if my work conforms to my own culture - when people from other cultures can understand my work, the message I want to convey would be easy for them to grasp.

5. Be able to work safely and competently within a range of Graphic Design techniques
and practices.
This quite speaks for itself - safety first at all times. I might be required to handle materials or tools I probably have never even seen before in my work, and therefore safety (and knowing how to use them) are important.

6. Develop the use of these techniques within their own areas of study and interests.
My area of interest is animation, and through learning from this module, I'll be able to apply them in my animation classes too.

7. Work safely in studios and workshops with a knowledge and practical understanding of health and safety issues.
This is pretty much the same thing as point 5, but this stresses on safety most of all.


8. Work within a given time frame.
This module will have deadlines and I'm expected to meet them.

9. Contribute to group activities, i.e. seminars, critiques etc.
The module requires me to speak up and talk about topics relevant to the class, and be able to give critiques where needed.

Yesterday's class helped me in understanding what's required of me:


This is a 10-second drawing of a student. The goal was to complete the drawing in 10 seconds. 


A drawing of the same student, but this time in 30 seconds.




A 1-minute drawing. We're required to draw all 4 students in the class.


A drawing done with my eyes closed. It yielded a very....interesting result.


Contour drawing. This one is done as a response to what I 'feel' about a given piece of music being played as I drew this. 


For the time-limit drawings, I focused mostly on details that stand out rather than attempt to get everything in at once, which is the same thing I did for the blind drawing. 

So for this exercise, I learned (and hopefully achieved) the following outcomes:

1. Demonstrate an imaginative response
2. Work in a given time frame

This is a really fun exercise to do and I've learned a lot of new things and got quite a lot of interesting results. I need to practise more on not seeing things the way they are, but find another way of seeing things. It certainly helps me a lot with my creativity.


No comments:

Post a Comment